The Trent End

Assessing Lyle Taylor’s Forest situation amid transfer links

This summer is a chance for Chris Hughton to press the reset button at Nottingham Forest.

After a disappointing campaign, changes are needed if the Reds are to launch a promotion push come August.

And with the transfer window now open, there has been plenty of speculation about who could be coming to and who could be leaving the City Ground.

It is no secret Forest are targeting reinforcements up front. Creating more chances and scoring more goals will be key to transforming a side which finished 17th into one capable of breaking into the top six.

There will be new-look attacking options whatever happens come the end of the window, but could that also involve one of those already on the books leaving?

We take a look at Lyle Taylor’s situation amid rumours about his future.


Video Loading

Linked with a move

There has been plenty of talk about Taylor potentially heading elsewhere in recent days.

A number of the Reds’ Championship rivals were said to be “on alert” over potentially securing his services.

It has been claimed Middlesbrough, Blackburn Rovers and Barnsley have been monitoring the forward, amid suggestions of a loan move.

And this week, the Daily Mirror reported Stoke City are keen to sign him permanently, with Forest willing to listen to offers.

Sign on to join the Reds debate



he City Ground, home of Nottingham Forest FC.

We want your views, Reds fans. You can become even more involved with our Nottingham Forest Live coverage by signing up to unlock a host of add-on features – such as commenting and joining the discussion on all of our stories, plus taking part in special Q&As where you can correspond directly with our Forest writer Sarah Clapson about the latest news and transfer talk coming out of Pride Park and elsewhere. Just click here to get started.

Tough time

The 31-year-old signed a three-year contract when he joined the Reds last summer, after leaving Charlton Athletic.

But his first year in the Garibaldi didn’t exactly pan out as hoped.

Taylor found himself down the pecking order – more so after Glenn Murray arrived in January – and struggled for regular game time.

Out of his 42 appearances in all competitions, 25 came as a substitute. And much like the rest of his teammates, goals proved to be in short supply, with a tally of just five amassed.

Hughton’s comments

The manager has previously backed Taylor to bounce back from a difficult season, addressing the competition with Lewis Grabban and Murray.

In April, Hughton said: “At this moment, we’ve got three number nines. It’s a personal choice of who I play, who I start or who I bring in.



Nottingham Forest boss Chris Hughton against Sheffield Wednesday
Nottingham Forest boss Chris Hughton against Sheffield Wednesday

“A fair assessment of Lyle’s season would probably be that it’s been very up and down.

“Probably in a period of time where there have been improvements in his game and he’s got to a level, I’ve got other choices as well.

“That becomes a decision making process.

“But this is a player who is contracted here. He is in the first year of his contract.

“There have been so many stories of individuals who have been in a similar position, where the first season didn’t go as well as they would have liked, for whatever reason – but then that changes. The second season does or the third season does.

“That’s always your thinking. Not only with Lyle, but with any player.”

Sign up to our Forest newsletter for all the latest transfer news

Why should you sign up?

The summer transfer window is almost here and we’ll have all the latest news and rumours. In our daily Reds bulletin, we’ll be bringing you breaking Forest news, transfer features and comment pieces, as well as the key talking points for fans.

How do you sign up?

It’s easy and only takes seconds. Simply type your email address into the box at the top of this article and hit sign up. You can also sign up here.

forest sub.jpg

You can also get all the latest updates by following us on Facebook and Twitter. We also have a free app which you can download. It is always up-to-date with the latest Forest news. Google Play Store and App Store.

Forward options

The Reds are one striker down, following Murray’s decision to hang up his boots – although he wouldn’t have been offered fresh terms regardless.

Nuno Da Costa’s loan spell at Royal Excel Mouscron has finished and there has been no indication they will take up the option to buy. At present, that means he will be part of Forest’s pre-season training, but the club would no doubt be open to offers for him.

Will Swan has also returned from spending the second half of the term at Port Vale. A decision will be made on whether he would benefit from further experience elsewhere or can play a part for the first-team.

Forest have been monitoring a number of potential targets, but there has been no suggestion anything is close at present.

That leaves Taylor and Grabban as the most senior options available to Hughton. The chances of one or other of them being allowed to leave without replacements ready to come in therefore seems slim.

Should Forest let Lyle Taylor go? Have your say in the comments below

Click here to read this post on the originating website.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.